I’m sure you all know that having clear and healthy skin is, and has been a common goal for many people, more so over the past few years. We’ve all heard of the phrase “self-love” and “self-ceremony” and there’s no better time to start taking care of YOU than now.
One of the most popular ways to practice self love is through your skin care routine, and I’d like to share a few tips and tricks to get your quarantine glow on.
I won’t go into depth about which brands to use just yet because everyone has a preference and what works for you may differ in comparison to what your bestie swears is her Holy grail. As well as that, what people don’t tell you is, you could be using all the amazing skin care products in the world yet see no improvement in your skin if you are not using them correctly or being consistent with your routine.
First things first wash your face, DAY AND NIGHT. Daily cleansing is critical to maintaining healthy skin.
Here are some simple do’s and don’ts when it comes to washing your face.
• Don’t use a dirty or abrasive towel to wash or dry your face.
• Don’t wash your face with water that is too hot (warm water is best)
• Don’t wash your face without having removed your makeup first.
• Don’t overexfoliate
• Don’t use the same moisturizer that you use on your body for your face.
• Do wash your hands before washing your face
• Do use a facial brush (with silicone bristles)
• Do use a toner after washing your face.
• Do lock in moisture after washing your face.
• Do pat your face dry with a clean towel after washing your face.
If a facial brush is a part of your skin care routine, it is imperative to keep it in a clean environment.*
You may be wondering, “why is washing your face day and night so important?”
Well here’s why:
• If you go without washing your face, your skin will continually be covered with dirt and grime, which can lead to blocked pores and blemishes.
• Washing your face daily (along with a good moisturizer) will help manage the PH levels of your skin, enabling proper water retention.
• Daily cleansing allows your other skin care products to work more effectively.
Now when it comes to exfoliating 2-3 times a week is best. Anymore than that would be damaging your skin.
Overdoing exfoliation can cause over-exfoliation, leaving your skin sore, bruised, red and irritated. Signs of over-exfoliation include excessive smoothness and shine of your skin, redness, peeling and flaking, and sometimes even an acne inflammation.
Remember, consistency is key, stay loyal to your skin care routine and you WILL see results!